Home for Midland K-12
Home and School
We are gearing up for another great year at Midland! We have a wonderful Home and School leadership team; but we need you! The reason that Midland Adventist Academy has been successful is because of God's abundant blessing and the amazing volunteers who have given their time and talents to assist in activities at the school. We need every parent to partner with us for our Home and School to be a success.
Below is a list of activities that Home and School has been proud to sponsor. In order for us to continue these projects again this school year, we will need at least two (2) parent volunteers to assist with each activity.
- Back to School Night Dinner August 10
- Scrip Fundraiser
- Women's Bible Study - We can pick an afternoon. It is usually 2-3:15pm.
- Trash bag fundraiser - September
- Fall Fesitival if we have people who want to do it. October
- Elementary Chapels - Fridays throughout school year.
- Fruit Fundraiser - November through February
- Refreshments for Christmas and Spring concerts. December and May.
- Talent Show - January - Eric Hansen and Mrs. Godman
- Week of Health - February
- Teacher and Staff Appreciation - April
So grab a friend and please let me know which event you would like to help with. I know everyone is busy and this is a time commitment but MAA is an awesome school and it will only get better and be more amazing when we all work together. Thank you so much for your commitment to helping Home and School be a success.
Please contact Christina Svoboda at (913)909-3606 or email her here.
Midland’s Got Talent VI
The annual Talent Show took place on January 31, 2015 at 7:30 pm, accompanied by the expected scattered rain and snow (which also seems to be an anuual occurence) Thirteen acts from four categories (Vocal, Instrumental, Comedy and Misc) kept the audience interested and showed off the many talents of our Midland students...and even a teacher or two.
Midland's Senior class of 2015 hosted a pasta supper fund raiser of pasta, veggie meatballs, green beans and garlic bread. During a 20-minute half-timeintermission, the juniors sold desserts that many attendees couldn't resist.
Thanks to our Christina Svoboda and the Home & School Committee for organizing and presenting this great event. For a gallery of pictures, click here.
It's Citrus Time - Home & School fundraiser
One of our annual fundraisers is California and Florida citrus, and it's for a great cause. Each year from November to February, Home and School allows you to enjoy the delicious flavor of hand-picked fruit comes from the tree to your home in seven days. AND, it helps support Midland at the same time.
The profits from the fundraiser go directly to benefit the students at Midland Adventist Academy. Home and School are currently raising money to renovate the lobby bathrooms. And if you have ever wondered how the fruit actually ends up inside the school after being delivered, this picture gallery tells the story. The 7th & 8th graders, gently guided by Mr. Hallock, take care of this task for each delivery.
So the next time you see one of the middle school students, tell them thank you!
First Turn-in for Boxtops for Education
The first turn-in date for Boxtops for Education was October 28. Since starting the Boxtop program in 2006, Midland has received more than $3000 from this program, including $400 last school year. Thanks to everyone who clipped and saved - keep on clipping and bring in your boxtops before the end of the month!
One thing to keep in mind when gathering your collection - the company cannot accept Boxtops that have expired dates, or that have had the dates cut off. So keep clipping and give Midland the benefit. We'll be glad you did!
Although our "prize" campaign is over for this school year, you may submit magazines orders throughout the year. Our current magazine company is Great American Opportunities, with a school code is 2590636.
So if you didn't get your order in during April, any time is fine!
Fall - Trash Bag sales
High quality trash bags are available now, with an order deadline of Tuesday, September 23. These trash bags are such high quality that they sell themselves. Most buyers become repeat customers! Please order from your favorite Midland student (or the Home & School at 913-956-1102). Bags are $11 a roll, and all profits go to the Midland Home & School where we are raising money to renovate the lobby bathrooms.
We have three different sizes available:
- Blue - 55 gallon (super size, 16 bags/roll)
- Yellow - 39 gallon (25 bags/roll)
- White - 15 gallon (tall kitchen, 65 bags/roll)
One of the items in the article below suggests "Pick up something extra while at the store". The teachers at Midland were recently polled as to what supplies would be most useful, and here's the Official List. So help a teacher, help the students!
Dry Erase markers
Large Sharpie markers
Good sharp scissors
Playground rubber balls
Bibles (other than NIV)
Empty plastic bottles
(2 liter, 1 liter, 20-oz)
Sport-top water bottles
Ziploc Freezer bags
White Board wipes
Involved ParentsKids whose parents are active in school have higher grades and better attendance. How to get involved?
- Attend your school's open house and introduce yourself to the principal and Home and School leaders. Let them know you want to participate.
- Offer to help out in your child's class. Even if you work full-time, you can prepare materials, plan class activities, or make phone calls.
- Join the Home and School association and help raise funds and meet other parents.
- Help the school set up a parent center, where parents can get information, hold meetings, and plan activities.
- Share your talents: perform at a school event, speak to classes, or help build bookshelves.
Have you ever wondered how you can help at Midland when your free time is limited? Here are a couple of suggestions that our students and faculty would really appreciate:
- Collect Box Tops for Education - It's amazing how many items have these little rectangles on them. Toilet paper, paper plates, cleaning supplies, snack items - they are everywhere. The school get 10¢ for each one. Midland uses these to purchase equipment and supplies that are used in many classrooms. Just clip the label and drop them off at Mrs. Fairchild's office. We'll take care of it from there.
- Send a note of appreciation - Notes of encouragement go a long way. Our staff gets a real lift when they hear good things about the job they do. And not only teachers appreciate a kind word - don't forget the people who do their work behind the scenes, like the finance office, maintanance, and secretary.
- Pick up something extra while at the store - It doesn't have to be expensive. Teachers are always needing Post-it notes, pens, pencils and erasers for their classroom. The younger classrooms use small goodies to reward the students for doing a good job. Stop at the $1 section and pick up one or two items to help keep the teacher's goodie bags filled up.
- Use Your Target card to earn cash for Midland - When you use your Target Card, Target donates 1% of your purchase to the school. This may not sound like a lot, but every penny helps! We are eligible to receive a check once a year. Visit Target.com/tcoe or call 1-800-316-6142 to designate our school to receive the donations.
- Attend special programs and events - One of the easiest ways you can support the teachers and students is by attending the special programs that they present at the churches and school. Just by being there you show them that they are important and that you care about what they are doing and learning.